We imagine that Cigna inventory (NYSE: CI) is presently a greater decide than UnitedHealth inventory (NYSE: UNH), given its higher prospects. Though Cigna
1. Cigna’s Income Development Over The Latest Years Has Been Stronger
- Each firms managed to see gross sales progress over the current quarters, however UnitedHealth has witnessed comparatively quicker income progress of 12.7% during the last twelve months, in comparison with 7.6% for Cigna.
- Nevertheless, if we have a look at an extended timeframe, Cigna has fared higher. Whereas UnitedHealth’s gross sales rose at a mean annual progress price of 8.4% to $287.6 billion in 2021, in comparison with $226.2 billion in 2018, Cigna noticed its income rise at a mean progress price of 76.2% to $174.1 billion from $48.7 billion over the identical interval.
- The sharp rise in Cigna’s income could be attributed to its Categorical Scripts acquisition in Dec 2018.
- Of late, Cigna is seeing an increase within the pharmacy administration enterprise, pushed by inflation on branded medicine and better declare quantity. The corporate has additionally seen a rise in whole medical prospects to 17.8 million presently, vs. 17.1 million in 2019, earlier than the pandemic.
- For UnitedHealth, the income progress was partly pushed by elevated demand for its OptumHealth enterprise, which offers well being care by way of native medical teams. For perspective, OptumHealth’s income grew 124% between 2018 and 2021, in comparison with a 30% rise in income for the general firm.
- The sturdy progress within the Optum Well being enterprise could be attributed to an increase within the variety of sufferers served underneath the corporate’s value-based preparations, together with at-home providers.
- UnitedHealth’s whole medical enrollments are additionally on the rise, presently at 51.2 million, in comparison with 49.2 million in 2019, earlier than the pandemic.
- Our UnitedHealth Income and Cigna Income dashboards present extra particulars on the businesses’ segments.
- Wanting ahead, Cigna’s income is anticipated to develop quicker than UnitedHealth’s over the subsequent three years. The desk under summarizes our income expectations for the 2 firms over the subsequent three years. It factors to a CAGR of 16.2% for Cigna, in comparison with a 7.7% CAGR for UnitedHealth, primarily based on Trefis Machine Studying evaluation.
- Be aware that we’ve completely different methodologies for firms negatively impacted by Covid and people not impacted or positively impacted by Covid whereas forecasting future revenues. For firms negatively affected by Covid, we take into account the quarterly income restoration trajectory to foretell restoration to the pre-Covid income run price. Past the restoration level, we apply the typical annual progress noticed three years earlier than Covid to simulate a return to regular situations. For firms registering optimistic income progress throughout Covid, we take into account yearly common progress earlier than Covid with a sure weight to progress throughout Covid and the final twelve months.
2. UnitedHealth Is Extra Worthwhile, And It Gives Decrease Danger
- UnitedHealth’s working margin of 8.7% during the last twelve-month interval is best than 4.5% for Cigna.
- This compares with 8.8% and 5.5% figures seen in 2019, earlier than the pandemic, respectively.
- If we have a look at the current margin progress, each the businesses have seen a decline, however UnitedHealth is barely higher, with the final twelve months vs. final three-year margin change at -0.2%, in comparison with -1.4% for Cigna.
- UnitedHealth’s free money circulation margin of seven.5% can also be higher than 5.4% for Cigna.
- Our UnitedHealth Working Earnings and Cigna Working Earnings dashboards have extra particulars.
- monetary danger, UnitedHealth fares higher than Cigna. Its 10.5% debt as a proportion of fairness is way decrease than 36.9% for Cigna, whereas its 12.1% money as a proportion of property is way increased than 3.4% for Cigna. A greater debt place and additional cash cushion of UnitedHealth suggest a relatively decrease monetary danger.
3. The Web of It All
- We see that UnitedHealth is extra worthwhile than Cigna and presents comparatively decrease monetary danger. However, Cigna has seen higher income progress over current years, and it’s accessible at a decrease valuation than UnitedHealth.
- Now, taking a look at prospects, utilizing P/S as a base, as a consequence of excessive fluctuations in P/E and P/EBIT, we imagine Cigna is presently the higher selection of the 2.
- The desk under summarizes our income and return expectation for UnitedHealth and Cigna over the subsequent three years and factors to an anticipated return of 37% for Cigna over this era vs. simply 9% anticipated return for UNH, implying that traders are higher off shopping for CI over UNH, primarily based on Trefis Machine Studying evaluation – UnitedHealth vs. Cigna – which additionally offers extra particulars on how we arrive at these numbers.
Whereas CI inventory could outperform UNH, it’s useful to see how UnitedHealth’s Friends fare on metrics that matter. You can see different helpful comparisons for firms throughout industries at Peer Comparisons.
Moreover, the Covid-19 disaster has created many pricing discontinuities which might provide engaging buying and selling alternatives. For instance, you’ll be stunned how counter-intuitive the inventory valuation is for UnitedHealth vs. Netflix
What should you’re in search of a extra balanced portfolio as an alternative? Our high-quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have overwhelmed the market constantly because the finish of 2016.
Make investments with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Worth Estimates